Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday, Day 1 - Optmistic, and frugal

Our Invocation:  Can we truly gain something from hunger?  Perhaps we gain an appreciation or an understanding of the situation of those who do not get enough to eat.  Perhaps we acquire sensitivity to those who live at or below the poverty level.  Perhaps we learn how best to relate to our impoverished neighbors and fellow human beings.  May our gains be for good!

I woke up this morning after only a few hours of sleep: I went to the gym last night to work out after a long and involved day, and I did not eat after my workout because I did not want to cut into our food supply too early.  That was probably a mistake, as I am feeling a bit weak today.

I prepared my son’s lunch early today (he’s not participating in the Challenge), and as I did so, I tried to not taste or sample his tuna salad or grapes as I normally would when I prepare the meals.  I am a taster when I cook – after all, I have to get it right – yet when I prepare for him this week, I have to refrain.

For breakfast I had two eggs scrambled and a piece of dry wheat toast, along with an apple.  I also had some water, and some old tea that we have had for about five years.  Perhaps that’s not part of the challenge, but I felt it would be all right; there are no calories in tea, at any rate.

For lunch, I might have peanut butter on bread, probably open faced, along with a piece of fruit.  I’d have the banana, but they were not ripe when I bought them, and I think they’re not quite ready.

This is my day off, and during and after breakfast I prepared a chili from the canned beans and condensed soup, and the celery, peppers, canned tomatoes, broccoli, and spices that we had on hand.  They’re in the slow cooker, and will be ready for dinner; we’ll have it with rice tonight, and it will last us four dinners, at least.  It was the same recipe that I used at the Temple’s Superbowl party, and it’s rather tasty.  No salt, too.  I used the ‘no salt added’ canned beans.  With the rice I estimate that this chili cost $10.85, over four dinners/meals for two people.

No comments:

Post a Comment