Sunday, February 17, 2013

Friday, Day 5 – Feeling better, and a lot of food left…

Our Invocation:  Can we truly gain something from hunger?  Perhaps we gain an appreciation or an understanding of the situation of those who do not get enough to eat.  Perhaps we acquire sensitivity to those who live at or below the poverty level.  Perhaps we learn how best to relate to our impoverished neighbors and fellow human beings.  May our gains be for good!

One thing that both my wife and I noticed was that, at least as far as the two of us are concerned, there seems to be an adequate amount of food.  Again, this is in consideration of the fact that – with the exception of the canned ingredients for the chili – we purchased mostly raw ingredients, and we had few, if any, packaged or prepared foods.  I am pretty certain this is not what people in poverty do, due to lack of time, access to an adequate grocery store, or knowledge of good nutrition guidelines.

On Friday morning I exercised, which increased my need and desire for calories, and I sated myself on some leftover salad, baked potato, and chili, plus yogurt, for breakfast and lunch.  It was a long-ish meal, stretching over a few hours.  For dinner, we had the leftover whole wheat spaghetti, with its TVP-infused sauce that we had made the evening before.

I have noticed that I am more thirsty than I have been, and I guess that’s from the exercise and dry rooms: the weather has grown colder over the last few days, and with the increased heating needs the inside humidity goes down.  (Our home humidifier is off due to my son’s allergies.)

At our service this evening, I did have some wine and a cookie that our Sisterhood put out at the Oneg Shabbat.  There are many occasions when free food is available for everyone, and anyone at our worship is invited to partake.  The trick will be tomorrow, when the Bar Mitzvah family has graciously invited any worshiper to join them at lunch, when I will politely decline to eat.  (And the caterer is a great cook, who prepares great meals…sigh!)

No comments:

Post a Comment