Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday, Day 2 - Rushed and hungry

Our Invocation:  Can we truly gain something from hunger?  Perhaps we gain an appreciation or an understanding of the situation of those who do not get enough to eat.  Perhaps we acquire sensitivity to those who live at or below the poverty level.  Perhaps we learn how best to relate to our impoverished neighbors and fellow human beings.  May our gains be for good!

Last evening, everything went well with dinner of chili and rice.  We added a green salad, with a third of the cucumber, one carrot, and one of the three heads of lettuce that came in the bag we purchased.  I think that the chili was not as filling as it could have been, and we did not take seconds because we wanted to ensure it lasted for us.  I also ate a baked potato; see the next paragraph.

Because I work out regularly, I think my body really misses the calories that I take in, and I was pretty hungry last night at dinner time.  That’s the reason that I added the potato.  It was a small potato (which I ate with salt and pepper), but it certainly did the trick as far as hunger goes.

On this second morning of the Challenge, I was tremendously rushed.  I was off to the surgical center to be with a congregant before surgery, and I had to leave the house at the same time as my son, 7 AM.  So my awakening at 6 AM barely left me enough time to wash and dress for the day, and then make his breakfast and lunch, and my breakfast, lunch, and dinner; I have a very full day today, and needed to pack and take everything with me.

The crowded nature of my life this month certainly means that I need to rise earlier, to accomplish all I have to do for my family and take care of my needs.  Exercise may or may not have the same intensity as before, as my calorie intake drops; I cannot provide the same amount of calories as other weeks.  And as I wrote before, many people recommend that one eats a small something before a workout, and then protein load after a workout; I am not certain that I will be able to do either of these activities.  I am now getting a sense of what someone working two jobs, with children to provide for, has to go through to make their day work!

More later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment