Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday, Day 2 (update) - At the end of the day...

Our Invocation:  Can we truly gain something from hunger?  Perhaps we gain an appreciation or an understanding of the situation of those who do not get enough to eat.  Perhaps we acquire sensitivity to those who live at or below the poverty level.  Perhaps we learn how best to relate to our impoverished neighbors and fellow human beings.  May our gains be for good!

As I sat at the Temple Beth El Board of Trustees meeting tonight, I was somewhat hungry.  I had eaten dinner at about 6 PM, which consisted of salad left over from last night, a helping of our vegetarian chili, and some rice.  When experiencing the hunger pangs during the day, I realized that, at least for me, I can reflect back on fasting on Yom Kippur, and understood that working through the hunger was one way to avoid the feelings of emptiness.  Was I more productive today in my work?  I am not yet sure.

I had a meeting out of the office this morning, and my companion had a nice, warm latte with whipped cream.  I had water.

I returned home tonight, and had a few Cheerios, and two stalks of celery.  I think I would have bought something more substantial to snack on had I planned differently, but it needed to have fit within the price guideline.  Experience teaches well.

I think that my meals are averaging around a dollar each, with a bit more for the chili.

2 comments:

  1. Are you a vegetarian usually, or only for the challenge? If you are, I'd be interested in hearing your reasons for the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our home is not a vegetarian home, and I eat all kinds of things. My wife, however, is a vegetarian. So for the challenge, however, we decided to eat vegetarian for the week, and we wanted to eat healthily, which a vegetarian diet is.

    I think that so much of good food sense deals with what one eats, and if one has a limited amount of money, one has to think hard about the choices in food, the most economical proteins and carbs, and the like. If one does not consider this, either due to time constraints or just not being educated about such things, one will buy the ramen noodles or the snack foods, which are much cheaper than the healthy alternatives, such as fruit, beans, rice, etc.

    In reality, I think the better food challenge would be to ascertain, somehow, what someone actually buys with their limited funds and supplemental nutrition assistance, and try to live on that for a week. Then measure the effects of the diet on one's health. Then we'd have a good idea of how that kind of diet affects one's brain, emotions, spirit, and stamina.

    ReplyDelete